Fr. O’Neill’s defeat famed Glen Rovers


Cork Co. Fé 21 Premier 1 Hurling Championship: Fr. O’Neill’s 1-22 Glen Rovers 0-17

Fr. O’Neill’s  came away from Clonmult Memorial Park in Midleton the happier following their great win over famed Glen Rovers in the opening round of the Cork Co. Fé 21 Premier 1 Hurling championship. O’Neill’s who were never lead in the game, depended heavily on Cork and Imokilly star Declan Dalton who amassed sixteen points from both play and placed balls.

In a game that took a while to get going Fr. O’Neill’s raising white flags. Liam Coughlan got the Glen on the scoreboard with a brace of points but Fr. O’Neill’s were on top in all sectors of the field and plenty good ball was going into their inside forwards. Dunne, with some nice stick work, added his second point as Dalton again converted a 65 to put them four points to the good. The Glen eventually got to grips with the game and reduced the deficit to a point as the game entered the last five minutes of the opening half with points from Coughlan (0-3) and Darragh Milner. A flurry of scores from both sides in the closing minutes had the game level on 27 minutes but O’Neill’s stretched the lead with a great point from Cillian Broderick, who worked his socks off, followed by a mighty free from all of 90 metres from Dalton to let three points between the sides at the break.

O’Neill’s kept the pressure on the city side on the resumption with former Cork Minor, Ger Millerick getting on the scoreboard and another Dalton free to extend the East Cork sides lead. Dalton hit a great point five minutes into the half when under immense pressure from three Glen players.

This score boosted the O’Neill’s lads and a minute later a pristine pass from a falling Dalton to full forward, Jason Hankard, resulted in Hankard flicking the ball past Rory Byrne for the all important goal. This score steadied O’ Neill’s and they countered any minor response from the Glen with ease. Dalton was sublime from 65’s and frees and Sean O’Connor showed his great strength under the dropping ball on several occasions during the game. Fr. O’Neill’s kept the pressure on as the game entered added time but as Dalton again raked up a few points from frees it was Fr. O’Neill’s who slip into Round 3 of the championship.

Scores: Fr. O’Neill’s; D. Dalton 0-16 (0-6, 0-4 65’s), J. Hankard 1-0, B. Dunne, G. Millerick 0-2 each, C. Broderick, M. Motherway 0-1 each.

Glen Rovers: L. Coughlan 0-10 (0-4 f), S. Kennefick 0-4, S. Busteed 0-2, D. Milner, D. Tynan 0-1 each.

Fr. O’Neill’s; C. Sloane, M. Millerick, S. O’Connor, R. Kenneally, D. Harrington, G. Millerick, P. Hassett, C. Broderick, A. Kenneally, C. Swayne, D. Dalton, E. Motherway, B. Dunne, J. Hankard, M. Motherway.

Glen Rovers: R. Byrne, D. Dunlea, D. Morris, A. Murphy, D. Milner, R. Downey, A. Cronin, D. Tynan, A. O’Sullivan, G. Mulcahy, S. Kennefick, L. Coughlan, D. Kennefick, J. Corkery, R. McGuckian.

Sub used; S. Busteed for R. McGuckian (35).

Referee: S. Horgan (Gleann na Laoí).